Github for Windows is configured to push GIT to Github. However I'm using it as interface for bitbucket, as of right now it's the best client I found for Windows Vista.
- Create initial version of code, or whatever you'd like to check in.
- From Start->Programs->Github, Inc ->Gitshell
- cd <folder where code is>
- git init
- Open Github for Windows, and drag folder from explorer into it
- Check in using Githut for Windows
- git remote set-url origin <link reported by bitbucket> (their instructions give different command, but it does not work, they give: git remote add origin <link>)
- git push -u origin --all
- git push -u origin -- tags (I believe this isn't necessary)