Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Corona raycasting

Working on Corona and Lua for first time, and taking on a new type of a game is proving to be challenging, and at the same time rewarding. In the game, there is emphasis on connecting objects with a straight line, without any obstacles in-between. The technique used to determine there is nothing in between is called Ray Casting.

The information about API is here: http://docs.coronalabs.com/daily/api/library/physics/rayCast.html, but it does not quite describe how useful the API is. My previous attempt at solving the problem was to use collision detection by drawing a line between two objects, which was a wrong approach, but it seemed like a good solution at the time, because other parts of the game use collision detection.

Ray casting returns all the objects which are on the line from x1,y1 to x2,y2. I almost want to call it line of sight, however line of sight is more of a cone than a single ray.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

How to push initial version of code to bitbucket using github for windows.

I am posting this mostly for my self, so it will be brief.

Github for Windows is configured to push GIT to Github.  However I'm using it as interface for bitbucket, as of right now it's the best client I found for Windows Vista.

Steps:
  1. Create initial version of code, or whatever you'd like to check in.
  2. From Start->Programs->Github, Inc ->Gitshell
  3. cd <folder where code is>
  4. git init
  5. Open Github for Windows, and drag folder from explorer into it
  6. Check in using Githut for Windows
  7. git remote set-url origin <link reported by bitbucket> (their instructions give different command, but it does not work, they give: git remote add origin <link>)
  8. git push -u origin --all
  9. git push  -u origin -- tags (I believe this isn't necessary)
That is it.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Throwing IntelliJ into the mix

Decided to try out new technology for next project.  Upgraded to Java 7 and this time will use IntelliJ.  Everything was incredibly simple to set up, big thank you to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5271182/how-do-i-set-up-intellij-idea-for-android-applications

In other front, also taking a class in https://www.coursera.org/ on Scala. I doubt I'm going to use Scala in my next project, just don't have enough grasp on it yet. OK back to work.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

I'm still here

The blog hasn't been updated for a while.
There is a very good reason, I have started Mild Spring LLC and published 3 android games.  Details and the official page for the company is here: http://mildspring.com/

The three games are fairy adventure, whac-a-mole and pairs-game.

For Fairy Adventure, my wife has developed images, for other two games I was able to find free images at http://www.lostgarden.com/2007/05/dancs-miraculously-flexible-game.html and I'd like to give them a big "Thank You!"  All sounds for 3 games came from http://www.freesound.org and a big "Thank You!" to them as well.

Developing for android is a challenge, but also a great opportunity. It is an opportunity to release games to wide audience, with a low entry fee (just $25 at google play).

Over the past year, I was primarily focused on these games in my free time.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Working in the background.

The game is progressing.  A lot of images are in place, so is a lot of logic.  Greatest problem lately had been what happens when user exits application - it has been hanging, until earlier today.
I wish I could share more, but keeping it under wraps for now.  The main target for the game is casual gamers, and if there's a more specific target-group it would be girls my oldest daughter's age.
Now that previously-mentioned problem is fixed, I can dive into the game-play, there still needs to be a goal - currently it's playable, but there's no goal.  And there are features to be added - most importantly sound.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Making sense

Today's effort was two fold:
  1. Moved functions which should execute only onee per thread into their own class; function such as the ones to get current time (we don't want different objects on screen to think the time is different, even by millisecond) - it can only lead to confusion
  2. Added 'bullets'.  As the main object moves, by clicking anywhere else on screen fires off a bullet.
No picture today, but making an effort to have it checked in, as now the project is getting more complex.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Getting it moving.

videoAdded ability to move object around on android, it required a lot more effort than I expected, but works pretty well now.  Next stop is to add menus, and make everything configurable - start with the size of the box.  Following step is to think through the actual game, and the following step is to implement it.